Estuary birds, saltmarsh and dunes, all surrounding a historic golf course and village.
What can I do?
- Set off on one of the village’s heritage trails. The self-guided walks cater for all levels of fitness and vary from ¾ mile to 11 miles in length.
- Find the site of the old church, cut off from the town after a huge storm in 1806 changed the flow of the River Aln.
- Explore the beach and walk or cycle around Alnmouth Saltmarsh and Dunes (a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest).
- Look out for terns nesting south of the estuary in autumn and grey plovers during winter.
- Walk the Northumberland Coast Path north towards Boulmer, past the remains of the Percy Volunteers battery built to defend against Napoleon and the second oldest golf course in England. Look out for bird life on Marden Rocks.
- Search for neolithic cup markings on the hillside of Alnmouth Wall.
- Stroll around the peaceful grounds of the Friary of St Francis.
- Check out the seventeenth century coaching inn, The Schooner Hotel, twice awarded the honour of most haunted hotel in Great Britain.
What do I need to know?
- Alnmouth is the Southernmost point of the Berwickshire and Northumberland Coast European Marine Site and falls within the Northumberland Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Alnmouth to Warkworth is a National Cycle Network traffic-free route.
- Alnmouth station, with direct links to Edinburgh, Newcastle and London Kings Cross, is about a mile west of the village.
- Access into the River Aln estuary can be difficult and is only possible at high tide. Currents can be dangerously fast in the channel.
Where can I find out more?
- Parish Council website: www.alnmouth.org.uk
- Discover Alnmouth on foot at www.alnmouthwalks.co.uk
- Visit the Berwickshire and Northumberland Coast European Marine Site: www.xbordercurrents.com
- Find information on the Northumberland Coast Path and the Northumberland Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty at www:northumberlandcoastaonb.org/
- See Alnmouth Wall rock art here
- Vist the website of The Friary of St Francis
- Check out Living TV’s ‘Most Haunted’ information about the Schooner Hotel here
- Visit the Northumberland Communities
website for information about the history of Alnmouth
- Try our specially designed family activities. Storytelling, Soundscapes and Mapping are all great ways of getting to know Alnmouth. You can download pdf versions of these activities using the links on the right, or visit the Inspire me page to find a these and other activities in both pdf and Microsoft Word versions (for you to customise if you wish).
Showcase your pics on our website by tagging them on Flickr with this tag ALNMOUTH
Sunday 3rd August 8.00pm – 10.00pm Traditional Music Evening Hindmarsh Hall, Alnmouth,…
- 3 August 2014
- 8:00 pm
Sunday 10th August 8.00pm – 10.00pm Traditional Music Evening Hindmarsh Hall, Alnmouth,…
- 10 August 2014
- 8:00 pm
Sunday 17th August 8.00pm – 10.00pm Traditional Music Evening Hindmarsh Hall, Alnmouth,…
- 17 August 2014
- 8:00 pm
Download our fun activities: